Updated to announce prizes for this summer’s top winners
The 2022 Summer Photo Contest organized by The Stand Newspaper is underway and will continue to accept photo entries until midnight Tuesday, Aug. 9.
“This year’s contest is all about coming back from COVID-19,” said Ashley Kang, director of the project. “While still being cautious, many events in Syracuse are returning after a two-year hiatus. We want photographers to capture the return of these events as well as the joy of residents coming back together in the city.”
In addition to the contest and annual Photo Walk held June 19, two “meetups” for photographers have been organized to document in-person events. Jeffrey Perkins, a photographer for more than 50 years, led a group of 10 June 4 at the Taste of Syracuse. Herm Card and Mike Greenlar will co-lead a behind the scenes look at the Syracuse Mets later in July. Registration for this session is full. Card has served as a photographer for the team since 2006 and Greenlar has worked as a staff photographer for the Syracuse Post-Standard and other publications.
Photographers may submit images from the walk, meetups or photos taken this summer in Syracuse as contest entries.
Winning images will be revealed large and proud downtown as part of the Urban Video Project (UVP) Aug. 21 through 23. A pre-show event for Sunday’s opening night is in the works to be held prior to the Aug. 21 showcase at Wildflowers Armory.
Entries are accepted in the below four categories, and up to two images in each may be submitted for a chance to be top pick and win prizes. Images must be taken this summer and within Syracuse city limits.
- #TogetherAgain — A look at summer events Syracuse hasn’t seen in the last two years
- #SouthSideShot — A visual testament of what makes Syracuse’s South Side distinct
- #PicturePortrait — A shot of the many faces of those who call Syracuse home
- #SyrSummerFun — A capture of what makes Syracuse the place to be this summer
- 1st Place: $200 Cash
- 2nd Place: One-year membership to Light Work & subscription to Contact Sheet
- 3rd Place: $50 in market money to Salt City Market
- 4th Place: Five Guest Passes to the Everson Museum of Art