Each summer, The Stand and a growing group of regulars, participate in our annual Photo Walk. We look forward to gathering on a hot Saturday each July to explore, meet neighbors and document the South Side in photos. Led by volunteer Photo Walk Leaders, groups venture out for several hours, some taking hundreds of images, then return to share their favorite captured-moments with the group.
This summer will be different. We won’t gather in person due to the pandemic, but photographers can still document the city.
The Stand will now hold a photo contest – open citywide – to continue to capture Syracuse neighborhoods in photos, especially during this unique moment in time.
The contest starts July 1. Images will be accepted on a rolling basis up to July 31. Participants may enter up to two photos in each of our five categories (a maximum of 10 photos per person) and a panel of local judges will pick top winners – plus there will be prizes!
Contest Categories Include:
• #CuseSummer2020 — A shot that best captures this new normal — new now — for the city of Syracuse.
• #CuseCOVIDchildhood — A shot showing our city’s youth — from coping with our current crisis to enjoying childhood innocence.
• #CuseSocialDistancing — A shot displaying creative ways the city and its residents continue on safely.
• #CuseMinorityImpact — Studies show this virus impacts Blacks and minorities disproportionately, how can this reality be visualized?
• #CuseBLM — Nationwide racism is being called out. How is Syracuse pushing for progress?
We encourage you to share your images throughout the month on social media by tagging @MySouthSide and posting your favorite shots with each contest category hashtag.
Final images will be shared with the community online, featured in The Stand’s September print issue and exhibited downtown, projected onto the Everson Museum of Art, thanks to a partnership with the Urban Video Project (UVP).
To enter and be considered for prizes, photographers must follow recommended health guidelines, submit photos taken only in the city of Syracuse during the month of July and enter images online using The Stand’s entry form.
Follow The Stand on social media for updates on the contest. We’ll introduce the local judges, share details on prize offerings and much more.
We can’t wait to see how you capture Syracuse in photos!